An internship is a learning experience that allows a student to synthesize his or her academic learning in the field of music with the real-world operations of an organization. It is necessary for each student to design his or her own internship with the assistance of an on-site field supervisor in the chosen organization. The organization supervising the intern should be an established business not owned by the student’s parents or relatives. Normally 10-12 hours of work per week (100-120 total hours) is awarded one unit of credit. Internships can range from 0.5-4 credits.
Information on various opportunities can be found in through the Internships page at Northwestern's University Career Services.
Recent Internship Sites
- Ravinia Festival
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Chicago Opera Theatre
- People’s Music School
- San Diego Symphony Orchestra
- Grant Park Music Festival
- Minnesota Opera Education Department
- RipTide Music (Los Angeles)
- Weigel Broadcasting (WCIU-TV Chicago)
- Warner/Chappell Music (Los Angeles)
- Disney World