Grade Point Average

The following grading system is used in computing the grade point average:


Grade Points













*C- Does not count toward degree requirements
**D Is not awarded for graduate work
***X: Failed to earn credit, missed final exam
****Y: Failed to earn credit, work incomplete

The following notations are ignored in computing the grade point average:
P: Pass with credit
N: No grade, no credit
S: Satisfactory: noncredit course
U: Unsatisfactory: noncredit course
K: Work in progress
W: Withdrawn from course with permission
NG: No grade reported

Pass/Not Pass (P/N) Grading

Students may not select pass/no pass grading for degree required courses unless the course is only graded as pass/no pass.

X and Y Grades

Instructors may assign an X grade when students miss the final exam for a course. Instructors may assign a Y grade for students with incomplete work in a course. X and Y grades are assigned at the discretion of the instructor and only when the instructor feels the student has a reasonable chance of passing the course by completing the final examination and/or turning in the incomplete work. Students are granted X or Y grades only in extraordinary circumstances beyond the student’s control. X and Y grades must be made up within one calendar year.

Grade Appeal Policy

Instructors have the right and responsibility to determine grades according to their selected method. Grading methods must be professionally acceptable, communicated to everyone in the class, and applied to all students equally. 

Students who believe their final grade in any course was unreasonable or unjust have the right to appeal the grade. Grade appeals must be initiated within six weeks of the posting of the grade and resolved within the following quarter after the posting of the original grade.

Grade appeals cannot be based solely on a difference of opinion between the student and the instructor regarding the content or quality of the student’s work.

Grade Appeal Steps

  1. Students should first attempt to resolve the grievance directly with the instructor. Students must explain their position to the instructor and attempt to understand the instructor’s reasons for assigning the grade. The purpose is to reach a mutual understanding of the student’s situation and the instructor’s actions, and to resolve the differences in an informal and cooperative manner.
  2. Students unsatisfied with the solution in consultation with the instructor may initiate a conversation with the appropriate Director of Graduate Studies. The Director of Graduate Studies meets individually with the student and the instructor, and moderates a meeting between the two parties in an attempt to resolve the dispute.
  3. Students unsatisfied with the outcome of this meeting should submit a written letter of complaint, along with all relevant materials, to the Director of Graduate Studies. The letter and materials are presented to the Dean’s Council. The Dean’s Council reviews the materials and makes a recommendation to the instructor. The Dean’s Council recommendation may or may not include a suggestion for a revised final grade. In all cases, the final decision regarding grade changes is made by the instructor.

Grade Changes

Grades other than K, X, and Y may only be changed to correct clerical errors or if students make arrangements with the instructor to complete requirements for a course. If a student believes a clerical error was made, they should talk to the instructor. The instructor may change the grade, if appropriate, on CAESAR by following the process here. Changes can only be made within one year after the error.