Audition & Program Requirements
Master of Music: Music Education (2 year w/certification)
Prescreening materials required.
- Submit a paper as evidence of your scholarly writing ability.
- Submit a video recording of a performance on your principal instrument. This video should be of a prepared piece and should be no longer than 5 minutes. Recording with accompaniment is optional.
- If you have one, please submit a video recording online that demonstrates your teaching ability and musicianship.* This may include private lesson teaching or teaching/rehearsal segments videoed as part of a college course. You may want to submit a sample of several representative clips of your teaching, totaling no more than 30 minutes. During at least one of these teaching episodes, demonstrate your musicianship by using your primary instrument or voice to model for students. Attach a brief description of the setting and your goals for each teaching episode.
*If you do not have a video of your teaching, please describe in an essay your past opportunities to serve in a teaching role and why you have chosen to pursue certification for teaching at this point.
- A résumé reflecting your professional accomplishments to date is required as part of your online application.
- Two letters of recommendation in your online application are required. We recommend letters from applied teachers, faculty advisors, and any other teaching professionals who have directly observed your work in a teaching context either in or out of school.
If your prescreening materials are reviewed favorably, you will be contacted by the Office of Music Admission to set up a final audition with the Music Education faculty.
The audition* will involve three components:
- Sight‐singing Diagnostic – Sing simple melodies at sight.
- Keyboard Diagnostic – Sight-read simple piano excerpts.
- An interview consisting of questions relevant to your interests in music teaching and learning among children and adolescents.
*While an on-campus audition is strongly recommended, arrangements can be made to do an audition via video conference.