Audition & Program Requirements
Master of Music: Bassoon
Fall 2022 audition format update: Auditions will be entirely virtual. Bassoon applicants will audition live on Zoom and also submit audition repertoire recordings by February 15. Audition recordings must be submitted via the applicant's status portal. Posted 1/13/22
No prescreening; audition unaccompanied.
For Final Audition:
- Choose exposition sections from two works or movements that are contrasting in style or time period.
NOTE: Listed repertoire is not required; any pieces of commensurate difficulty will be accepted. Two contrasting movements from the following compositions are also acceptable.
- Milde, étude from Concert Studies Book 2
- Mozart, Concerto K.191, first and second movements
- Saint-Saëns, Sonata, first and second movements
- Vivaldi, any concerto, first and third movements
- Three contrasting orchestral excerpts of the applicant's choice
NOTE: Listed repertoire is not required; any pieces of commensurate difficulty will be accepted.
Suggested orchestral excerpts:
- Ravel, Boléro (solo)
- Stravinsky, Le sacre du printemps, opening and recapitulation on C-flat
- Mozart, Overture to Le Nozze di Figaro, opening and recapitulation (eighth-note passages)
- Beethoven, Symphony No. 4, fourth movement (sixteenth-note passages)
- Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 4, end of second movement
In addition: please be prepared to play a selection of major and harmonic-minor scales and major and minor arpeggios.