Audition & Program Requirements
Master of Music: Saxophone
Fall 2022 audition format update: Auditions will be entirely virtual. Saxophone applicants will audition live on Zoom. Auditionees are encouraged to submit recordings of any new repertoire of their choice (~15 minutes of music) to complement their prescreening portfolio. Recordings should not duplicate prescreening repertoire and must be submitted by February 15 via the applicant's status portal. Posted 1/14/22
Prescreening required; must be video recording. Prescreening may or may not include accompaniment, at the discretion of the applicant.
- Two contrasting études by Bozza, Lacour, Koechlin, Karg-Elert, Ferling, or other études of similar difficulty
- Two complete solo works of contrasting styles, including at least one work from the standard repertoire.
For Final Audition:
- All major and harmonic minor scales, full range; major scales in 3rds; chromatic scale.
- Three complete works. One should be from the standard repertoire, and one should be from the contemporary repertoire.
- Optional: If you have a background in jazz that you would like to demonstrate, you may present jazz selections such as a transcription, jazz étude, and/or improvisation (with play-along tracks).