Audition & Program Requirements
Master of Music: Jazz Studies (All Instruments)
Fall 2022 audition format update: Auditions will be entirely virtual. Jazz Studies applicants will audition live on Zoom. Auditions should be accompanied; applicants may audition with a live combo or audition with play-along tracks linked below. Posted 1/13/22
Prescreening required; must be video recording. If the applicant is unable to record prescreening with live musicians, please use the backing tracks linked below.
For Prescreening and Final Audition:
Trumpet, saxophone, and trombone players will perform with piano (or guitar), bass, and drums.
Guitarists will perform with piano, bass, and drums.
Pianists will perform with bass and drums.
Bassists will perform with piano (or guitar) and drums.
Drummers will perform with piano (or guitar) and bass.
Choose one song from each of the categories and be prepared to perform the song’s melody. Rhythm section instruments should demonstrate the ability to accompany a soloist.
All songs are listed in concert key:
- Sonny Stitt, The Eternal Triangle, Bb Major, approx. quarter note = 208
- Cole Porter, From This Moment On, F minor, approx. quarter note = 190
- Jerome Kern/Dorothy Fields, The Way You Look Tonight, F Major, approx. quarter note = 190
- Charlie Parker, Chi Chi, Ab Major, approx. quarter note = 190
- John Coltrane, Mr. Day, Gb Major, approx. quarter note = 220
- Charlie Parker, Cheryl, C Major, approx. quarter note = 180
- Duke Ellington, Sophisticated Lady, Ab major
- Thelonious Monk, Ruby, My Dear, Eb Major
- Herb Ellis/John Frigo/Lou Carter, Detour Ahead, C Major
- Bill Evans, Waltz for Debby, F Major, approx. quarter noter = 200
- Thelonious Monk, Ugly Beauty, Db Major, approx. quarter note = 90
- Richard Rodgers/Lorenz Hart, Falling in Love with Love, Bb Major, approx. quarter note = 90
In addition to the selections listed above, drummers should prepare the following grooves:
Afro-Cuban 6/8 groove
Shuffle groove with backbeat
Swing groove with brushes (slow, medium, and fast)
Swing groove with sticks (slow, medium, and fast)