Audition & Program Requirements
Doctor of Musical Arts: Conducting (Choral, Orchestral and Wind)
Prescreening required; must be video recording.
Applicants must have completed a Master of Music degree in Conducting for application to the Doctor of Musical Arts in Conducting.
Please note: The Bienen School of Music is not accepting Choral Conducting applications for fall 2021. The program's next openings will be for fall 2022.
Our conducting faculty appreciate and are sensitive to the special challenges that graduate conducting applicants face this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Faculty want to emphasize that their approach to evaluating prescreening will be flexible, equitable, and responsive to the current climate.
- Submit a video/videos of both rehearsal and performance (10-15 minutes each). Recognizing that it may not be possible to acquire current video of rehearsals/performances due to COVID-19-related safety measures, the faculty suggests you submit older examples of your conducting and/or video of you coaching/rehearsing a musician.
- In order to gain a comprehensive understanding of your abilities as a musician, submit a representation of your highest level of musicianship. Be creative! Examples could include a video of you playing a beautiful phrase, excerpt, or piece of solo repertoire on your primary instrument; a video of you singing; or a video of you singing while conducting.
- Additional audio recordings of performances may also be submitted, especially if the audio aspect of your video recordings is not high quality.
For Final Audition:
- Applicants invited to the live virtual audition round will be informed of the scores to be prepared. Candidates will need to obtain and study the scores in preparation to conduct and rehearse all or any part of them. Scores may be marked any way the applicant wishes.
- An interview with the conducting faculty will be scheduled. The interview allows the faculty to ascertain the applicant’s goals, ambitions, and needs; assess the candidate’s ability to communicate and project their own personality; and evaluate the strength of the applicant’s motivation to pursue a graduate degree and subsequent career in conducting. Choral conducting will include an assessment of language skills, such as Italian, German, and French.
- Applicants will take a conducting exam. Abilities in ear training, terms, and score analysis will be tested.