Prescreening required; must be video recording. Video should be framed so that it is close enough to be able to see the applicant's face and embouchure.
Prescreening and audition unaccompanied.
Fall 2024 Audition Formats:
All applicants whose program requires an audition are asked to audition on campus. Virtual auditions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Applicants should wait to receive their prescreening results before contacting the Office of Music Admission about virtual audition options.
- 1 étude of applicant’s choice from Charlier, Brandt, Arban Characteristic Studies, or equivalent
- 1 short standard solo piece (Enescu Légende or equivalent), or the first movement of a standard concerto or sonata of the applicant’s choice (Haydn, Hummel, Hindemith, Kennan, or equivalent) NOTE: No piccolo trumpet solo allowed
NOTE: Choose contrasting works that will display your highest level of achievement musically and technically. Repertoire can be recorded in separate takes and uploaded in separate files.
NOTE: Applicants who submit incomplete prescreening repertoire requirements may be disqualified from consideration.
For Final Audition:
- 1 étude of the applicant’s choice from Charlier, Brandt, Arban Characteristic Studies, or equivalent
- 2 contrasting solos or movements from a standard concerto or sonata of applicant’s choice. One piece must be the first movement of a standard concerto or sonata
- 3 contrasting standard orchestral excerpts
- Adolphus Hailstork Variations for Trumpet, measure 75 to the end
NOTE: Applicants who submit incomplete audition repertoire requirements may be disqualified from consideration.