The Cost of Attendance is an estimate of your total education-related expenses while you are enrolled at Northwestern.
- Tuition and mandatory fees: Same rate for in-state or out-of-state students; charged based on your enrollment (i.e., full-time, part-time, etc.).
- Room and board: Allowance based on the weighted average cost of an on-campus double room and a full meal plan; same budget estimated for students living in off-campus apartments.
- Books and supplies: Average cost of required course materials and school supplies; based on student-reported averages.
- Personal expenses: Incidentals and living expenses, such as clothing, toiletries, and entertainment. Estimate based on student-reported averages; individual spending habits vary.
- Transportation: Allowance for travel expenses from your home to campus, if applicable.
- Loan fees: If you are borrowing any Federal Direct Stafford or Federal Direct PLUS loans, your cost of attendance will include average origination fees charged on these loans. Actual fee amounts will vary based on the type of loan and how much you borrow.
- To determine your eligibility for need-based financial aid
- To give you an estimate of total costs for the year
- To set the limit on the total amount of financial aid and loans you can receive for the academic year (which federal regulations require us to do)