Job Opening ID: 35670 - Position Number: 58639 - Job Code: 105757
Assists in the recruitment efforts of the Bienen School of Music by communicating with prospective students, parents and reviewing applications. Working closely with the Assistant Dean for Admission, Financial Aid and Graduate Services, and with performance and academic faculty, implements recruitment strategies, meets enrollment goals, and coordinates on-campus music auditions and other recruitment events. Prepares statistical reports and tracks applicant data/communications for analysis. Provides assistance in promoting to prospective students and parents the goals of Northwestern University Bienen School of Music, with its strong emphasis on musicianship, liberal education, and professional preparation.
- Works under the direction of the Assistant Dean for Admission, Financial Aid and Graduate Services, along with performance and academic faculty, to implement recruitment strategies, meet enrollment goals, and support admission policies and practices. Assists in representing the Bienen School of Music at University recruitment events.
- Meets with prospective students and families to effectively interpret and communicate the institutional mission, programs, and goals of the Bienen School of Music and Northwestern University, with its strong emphasis on musicianship, liberal education, and professional preparation. This includes presenting Information Sessions on an ongoing basis to groups of parents and prospective students, representing positively the Bienen School and responding knowledgeably to questions with detailed information about all aspects of the admission process.
- Maintains the online application system and assists in the evaluation of all applicants to the Bienen School of Music (includes application and all supporting materials, plus audition materials). This also involves primary responsibility for scheduling and implementing on-campus auditions.
- Provides outreach to teachers, guidance counselors, alumni, and music organizations both domestic and international to foster positive relationships and long-term recruitment on behalf of the Bienen School of Music.
- Manages the public operations of the Admission and Financial Aid Office, maintaining a business environment that is welcoming, organized and professional. Supervises student workers in the execution of communications through social media, phone calls, emails and personal interactions.
- Assists with the annual update and ongoing editing of admission publications, placement of advertisements, and website information, providing timely information to the Bienen School’s communication staff. Ensures the Office of Music Admission and Financial Aid is routinely stocked with informational materials for the visiting public.
- Participates in off-campus recruitment travel as determined by the Assistant Dean for Admission, Financial Aid and Graduate Services (may involve two to three weeks per year).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, experience, and any other certifications or clearances
- Bachelor of Music required.
- At least two years’ experience in an administrative position, preferably in a college or university performing arts environment.
- Experience in public speaking and effective written communications.
- Some experience in music admissions is highly desirable.
Skills, knowledge, and abilities
- Collaboration – Facilitates open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one’s own team; respects the needs and contributions of others.
- Collegiality - Being helpful, respectful, approachable, and team-oriented building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Communication-Oral and Written - Communicates effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts; writes precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Computer Proficiency - Successfully uses multiple software programs independently. Software may include Microsoft Office, applications such as PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Access, email, web browsers, and PeopleSoft.
- Efficiency- Effectively performs duties and responsibilities; displays attention to detail; supports organizational policies; anticipates demands/pressures of assignments and adjusts accordingly.
- Ethics and Integrity - Follows through on commitments; incorporates honesty, respect and fairness in daily actions; demands trustworthiness from others; demonstrates courage and objectivity.
- Judgment - Demonstrates logic, rationality and objectivity; shows common sense; uses all available information to make educated decisions.
- Meets Deadlines - Displays consistency and success in adhering to deadlines.
- Quality/Compliance - Striving for excellence with our work processes and outcomes, honoring University policies and regulatory requirements.
- Master of Music preferred or commensurate music experience.
- Working knowledge of current financial aid sources and policies.
- Experience with PeopleSoft Systems and/or TechnoSolutions Slate.
- Experience compiling statistics and performing database queries.
- Experience with social media platforms as part of a broad marketing and communications strategy.
To apply for this position, you will need to submit your résumé, cover letter and references through the University's electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, using the job opening number or the job title.
Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a candidate is selected.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. Members of historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.