Audition & Program Requirements
Doctor of Musical Arts in Piano Performance and Pedagogy
Prescreening required; must be video recording.
- 45 minutes of memorized music representing different styles and historical periods.
- An outline of applicant's pedagogical background. This should include a description of the levels of students taught; the format of instruction (e.g. class or private teaching); and repertoire, methods, and materials used in teaching.
- Respond to the following short essay questions:
- In what ways does Romantic music depart from the music of the Classical period, and in what ways does it represent continuity?
- What musical experience has had the most profound effect on you and why?
For Final Audition:
If invited to campus, the applicant will perform for and interview with a music faculty jury. Candidates are expected to prepare 45 minutes of music appropriate for the doctoral level. Solo selections should represent various styles and historical periods from the standard repertoire. Typically, the audition will last approximately 30 minutes. Candidates should print the list of prepared audition selections and bring this to the audition.
Additionally, further pedagogical materials may be required for applicants invited for a live audition. A video of sample teaching segments may be requested.